[X3D-Public] Online graphics survey: volume rendering techniques

Bederov, Sergey bederov at cortona3d.com
Mon Dec 24 08:13:32 EST 2012

Hello Nicholas,

The two views on the videos are not marked. I know what is isosurface, so the volumetric is apparently segmentation, but for someone else it may be not so obvious.

The isosurface view is generally clearer and easier to understand. But it's clear that some part of information is lost, for example, objects of low density. Experts on the subject should decide whether the lost information is important.

>From the 3D graphics point of view, I have noticed that the volumetric view has only one set of textured layers, and the objects become transparent and disappear when the view is rotated 90° to the camera. I would recommend creating three sets of textured layers, orthogonal to each other, and changing their transparency in real time depending on the viewpoint position. You will have to choose the angle-transparency relationship by trial and error to eliminate artifacts such as "wobbling" and abrupt changes of transparency.

                                                                    Sergey Bederov