[X3D-Public] X3D Followers meeting Wednesday please

Richard Puk puk at igraphics.com
Wed Feb 8 14:12:38 PST 2012

Hi, Don --

I recommend adding the four new nodes to Vs. 3.4. If we add them to Vs. 3.3,
we will need to reballot at the PDAM/CD level. We also need two
implementations of these which may take quite a bit of time. It would be bad
to hold up the Volume Rendering Component until all of that is resolved.
DICOM is assuming approval of 3.3 reasonably soon.

  -- Dick

/*****************************************
* Richard F. Puk, Ph.D.
* President, Intelligraphics Incorporated
* 7644 Cortina Court
* Carlsbad, CA  92009
* Tel:  1-760-753-9027 E-Mail: puk at igraphics.com
\*****************************************

Dampers,
> and since the algorithms are essentially identical in each case, the level
of
> difficulty is very low.  Further we could say that since the animation
algorithms
> are quite simple, these 4 nodes do not appreciably increase the size of a
plugin
> implementation.
>
> Therefore, subject to group approval, we recommend that these 4 nodes be
> added to X3D.
>
> Action items for InstantReality would be to
> - rename TexCoordChaser to TexCoordChaser2D (to match proposed change)
> - rename TexCoordDamper to TexCoordDamper2D (to match existing X3D spec)
>
> Dick:  Web3D will likely want to recommend making this change as part of
the
> X3D version 3.3 ISO review.  This might be considered to be errata since
the
> changes provide proper consistency to the Followers component.
> Let's please discuss our options on the next working group teleconference.
>
> > - getting consistent browser support for example scenes
> > 	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/Followers/
>
> We reviewed these examples.  Some work but many don't in BS Contact.
> Most of the scenes were my translations of Herbert's original examples,
which
> used a preliminary node syntax developed prior to approval of the X3D
Followers
> Component.
>
> Herbert can check on BS Contact support and whether the example scenes are
> correct or not.  I will fix any scene problems and check the updates back
into
> version control.  For test purposes we might implement CoordinateChaser as
> native node (instead of using a prototype), if others in X3D group agree
that this
> addition to the spec is likely.
>
> We will both work to revisit this topic in 2 weeks during the
teleconference 22
> FEB 2011.  All feedback welcome.

> brutzman at nps.edu
> Watkins 270,  MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA
+1.831.656.2149
http://faculty.nps.edu/brutzman