[X3D-Public] Everyday problems with X3D: VRML 1 conversions

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Wed Feb 29 09:12:07 PST 2012

Mike asked about VRML 1 conversions.  cc: public list

Regarding conversions from VRML 1, here is what we know about
on the X3D Resources page:

http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/X3dResources.html#Conversions

1. Okino Polytrans is the premier industry translation tool that can
convert many many different file formats (including Collada) to and from
X3D, VRML97 and VRML 1.0.
http://www.okino.com/conv/filefrmt.htm
http://www.okino.com/conv/imp_iv.htm

2.  VRML 1.0 to VRML97 Converter by Octaga
http://www.octaga.com/freedownloads/Vrml10to20/VRML10To20.zip

This link is no longer publicly available.  Does anyone know how to
reach them, can we ask them to release it?

3.  CosmoPlayer included a converter in the original distribution,
wondering if that is the case.  Can someone check?
http://cic.nist.gov/vrml/cosmoplayer.html

4.  Instant Reality has a nice converter, but it doesn't seem to
include VRML 1 support.
http://doc.instantreality.org/tools/x3d_encoding_converter/

Any additional links to converters with VRML 1 capabilities will be
welcome.