[X3D-Public] X3D-Edit update: Xj3D on 64-bit Windows, partial NURBS support

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Wed Jan 4 18:47:15 PST 2012

X3D-Edit is an open-source Extensible 3D (X3D) Graphics authoring tool
for simple error-free editing, authoring and validation of X3D scenes.
Available for all major desktop/laptop operating systems at

	https://savage.nps.edu/X3D-Edit
	https://savage.nps.edu/X3D-Edit/#Downloads

Updates released today:

- NURBS component is fully supported

It is my hope that this will help the CAD group explore whether it is
possible for the B-REP structures of CAD might be well rendered using
conversion mappings to NURBS nodes.  This would allow X3D browser
companies to focus their support on excellent NURBS performance in
major-device plugins and mobile devices.  Perhaps it will also help
the Medical working group since a lot of anatomical models use NURBS.

Still TODO:  further checking of the NURBS scenes in the X3D Basic
Examples Archive.  Additional examples are welcome.
http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/NURBS/

- Better support for Internationalization (I18N) usage

Many thanks to Michele Foti for problem reporting and dedicated testing.
We discovered that his Windows 7 laptop running in the Italian language
was failing silently for many X3D-Edit node panels because the
comma character "," was being used as the decimal separator instead
of the period character.  Once we got some configuration issues sorted
out, installing the version-control X3D-Edit source on his computer
using Netbeans was fairly straightforward. It compiled immediately
a series of debug-mode tests let us isolate our Java Locale error.

This bug is now fixed (for all written languages) and Michele's
already-impressive productivity has improved even further!  8)
Many thanks for this troubleshooting effort.

Test reports remain welcome.  Buon Anno - Happy New Year everyone.