[X3D-Public] [X3D] Invitation: Web3D Town Hall and X3D Interoperability Demonstration; NURBS, TextureTransform problems

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Sun Jul 22 15:04:12 PDT 2012

On 7/21/2012 3:53 PM, Michael Aratow wrote:> Don:

> Thanks for initiating this great opportunity to show the power of standards through your interoperability demonstrations.  It is crucial to show how one piece of code can work with several different players so that developers can concentrate on content and not compatibility (look at what is happening in the mobile market).
>
> This is also a good chance to show where the X3D spec may have gaps and needs amendment to facilitate further adoption.
>
> Mike

Bingo, thanks Mike.

Authors:  we are looking for you to show your demo on your terms, then
we will see how good it looks in other players.

Please give us early notice if you think it is likely that you will participate.

In addition to demos by others, here are two sets of interesting examples.
We continue working step-by-step to improve X3D running anywhere.

a.  Vince Marchetti of the X3D CAD working group has shown that not all
NURBS component examples are shown identically by major players.  He has
further implemented improvements to the open-source Xj3D codebase which
will soon be in the primary trunk build.  Details for NurbsPatchSurface
and NurbsTrimmedSurface differences are online at
http://web3d.org/x3d/wiki/index.php/X3D_NURBS

b.  The fundamental capability for ImageTexture and TextureTransform is
not consistent for different players.  This discrepancy is pretty astonishing.
Example scene and documentation:
https://savage.nps.edu/Savage/Locations/MontereyPeninsulaCollege/PoolMontereyPeninsulaCollege.x3d
https://savage.nps.edu/Savage/Locations/MontereyPeninsulaCollege/PoolMontereyPeninsulaCollege.html

BS Contact appears to be correct, or at least it matches the TextureTransform values given in the scene.
Instant Reality, FreeWrl and OctagaVS match each other but looks quite different.
Xj3D did not render the TextureTransform image.
SwirlX3D did not render the scene (at least on a Windows 64-bit machine).
Other players not tested, reports are welcome.

https://savage.nps.edu/Savage/Locations/MontereyPeninsulaCollege/TextureTransformViewBsContact.png
https://savage.nps.edu/Savage/Locations/MontereyPeninsulaCollege/TextureTransformViewInstantReality.png
https://savage.nps.edu/Savage/Locations/MontereyPeninsulaCollege/TextureTransformViewFreeWrl.png
https://savage.nps.edu/Savage/Locations/MontereyPeninsulaCollege/TextureTransformViewOctagaVS.png