[X3D-Public] X3D and ebooks - can we meet more frequently? lots of incompatible industry activity...

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Wed May 2 17:56:23 PDT 2012

Hi Kwan Hee Yoo.  There has been a lot of activity regarding e-books in the industry.  They are all incompatible with each other.

Wondering when we can next have a meeting about E-Learning, and to discuss how we are working with IDPF and IMS?  We are currently planning on Wednesday 23 May.  Perhaps you want to meet sooner?

X3D and E-Learning wiki page
http://web3d.org/x3d/wiki/index.php/X3D_and_E-Learning

There are tons of relevant press articles about industry activity on e-books, here is a little:

Microsoft Deal Adds to E-Book Battle
http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/04/30/microsoft-deal-adds-to-battle-over-e-books/

TimesCast: Microsoft’s Deal Spurs E-Book Market
http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/04/30/timescast-microsofts-deal-spurs-e-book-market/

Moving Forward in E-Readers
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/09/technology/personaltech/09pogue.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

Another Contestant Wades Into E-Book Format Wars
http://www.nytimes.com/2000/11/06/business/another-contestant-wades-into-e-book-format-wars.html

The Pitfalls of E-Book Buying: What to Look Out for Before You Purchase
http://www.pcworld.com/article/219335/the_pitfalls_of_ebook_buying_what_to_look_out_for_before_you_purchase.html

iBooks Author: Best practices for using 3D models
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5093