[X3D-Public] Script field naming, proposed specification changes

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Wed May 16 09:08:47 PDT 2012

We had further productive discussion today on this issue.  Getting close.

http://www.web3d.org/membership/login/mantis/view.php?id=525
Note 1039
> InstantReality reports that there is an internal X3D browser workaround for JavaScript that they have achieved which allows authors to use either approach. This opens the possibility that we should not revise the X3D language-binding specification, as proposed here, for better clarity and unambiguous implementation design.
>
> However, other implementations may have trouble implementing this approach, so we should look at it. This includes implementations available today, and possibly future implementations which might run in lightweight browsers.
>
> There may also be security implications if a malicious author might be able to modify a function that gets run by the X3D browser. There is likely a similar security design issue for Javascript running inside an HTML sandbox. We should probably also look in HTML-browser-writer best practices and security considerations to see if there are any appropriate lessons to consider. If there is no added security vulnerability with either approach, then we don't have to worry about that factor.

Johannes and the IR team will write up details of their solution to simultaneously support either approach.  We are leaning towards finalizing this proposed revision for stricter/unambiguous naming of field methods.

We remain keen to get feedback from browser implementers.

We'll meet again to review any comments on this issue in 2 weeks.  We will move that teleconference from Wednesday to Friday June 1, 0800-1000 pacific time.  Other topic for that meeting are the MIME types document.