[X3D-Public] {Disarmed} Re: XMPP / XML schema JScript ( Networksensor )

Sven-Erik Tiberg Sven-Erik.Tiberg at ltu.se
Tue Nov 20 00:59:54 PST 2012

Hi Christoph

You are correct in:
“  You think about "multi X3D nodes and non X3D nodes like
CarSim interfacing Mathworks Simulink."""  “”
This is exactly what I would like to accomplish.

The protocol to be used should preferable have a open specification, well supported and documented and preferable a protocol that are under constant development and extending functionality. It would be preferable if it has a wide range of libs in multiple programming language.
Would also like to have secure transport and the possibility to send packages to symbolic address handled by a protocol broker instead of a IP address. The protocol broker should also have the feature to transferee a message package from one node to a symbolic group address that distributes the message package to all nodes that are listed as participants in this symbolic group address.
It should also be possible to connect several protocol brokers in a network and in this it’s preferable to use a s2s tunneled connection to have a well defined specification for any firewalls on that route.

A the moment XMPP with ejabberd fulfills most of this requirements but as you know things can change in this world of SW and HW.

To be prepared for a most probably evolution in protocol without having to rewrite as little as possible of the SW I’m aiming to use the syntax for NetWorkSensorNode and JScript in this case strophe.js as it are both event driven and are using BOSH ( Bidirectional Over Secure Html to overcome network port restrictions for JScript in browsers), and ejabberd can handle BOSH. There are a c++ version of  strophe as well and python libs for jabber/XMP, event handling and secure transport and,,
By this it’s fairly easy to swap to another protocol in the future, it can be used in most browser / X3D clients ( python version for H3D ) and X3D scenes / spaces can be put together from code snipps from a CMServer.

By using symbolic addresses and symbolic group addresses, the HW for a node can be moved in the network or replaced w/o rewriting the X3D scene code.

Well hope I haven’t confused you to much now as all this ideas are in a “evolution state” on my desk and some of it are documented in the suggested conference paper that I sent you some time ago.
Will have a look at your work ( ref. by links below ) now.
Thank you once again Christoph you work/project inspires me, and this summer I WILL stop in Wienna for a chat.
Will be on MC tour to a small town north of Udine in Italy and Wienna are on the way down from Scandinavia.

/Sven-Erik