[X3D-Public] Fwd: Sir Tim Berners-Lee Joins Google, Apple, Microsoft, and Others To Open the Web Platform

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Wed Oct 31 07:48:56 PDT 2012

On 10/30/2012 7:39 PM, cbullard at hiwaay.net wrote:
> It reads like an AI Bot wrote it.
>
> Perhaps I am simply curmudgeonly but I'm increasingly sceptical of projects like this.  Why?  Isn't this kind of openness and accessibility to information precisely what the search engines provide now?

well, uh, um, ...

It looks to me like
- they are trying to make Open Web standards mashup move understandable
- most experts only specialize in a few areas, not all, so common resource might help

Currently if you search for something like 'html table border' you get
- w3schools.com help page with lots of advertising, information usually ok
- somebody's blog post 'how i made tables work' or somesuch
- W3C recommendation, which is not for faint of heart

So a coherent educational/reference resource for authors can't hurt.

Their goal statement:

> Web Platform Docs is a new community-driven site that aims to become a comprehensive and authoritative source for web developer documentation. Even though Web Platform Docs is still in alpha, you can already find lots of valuable content on the site, including information on:
>
>     How to use features of the open web, with syntax and examples
>     What platforms and devices you can use various technologies on
>     What is the current standardization, stability and implementation status of each technology specification
>
> In the future, Web Platform Docs will include even more content for you to explore such as live code examples, resources for educators and much more. To get there faster, we’d like to invite you to also contribute your knowledge. We hope you will join us!

Blog:  http://blog.webplatform.org

What I'd love to see is our community working to connect outwards and show that X3D (plus X3DOM evolution) is a natural fit for the Open Web Platform.