[X3D-Public] Player support for X3D components - confirmation request

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 11:02:53 PDT 2012

Hi,

Bump :) May I ask to update
http://www.web3d.org/x3d/wiki/index.php/Player_support_for_X3D_components about
view3dscene, esp. to mark that we have "Cube map environmental
texturing" fully supported? Thanks!

Below is the original mail from a month ago:

Don Brutzman wrote:
>>> http://www.web3d.org/x3d/wiki/index.php/Player_support_for_X3D_components
>
> hopefully I got it, thanks for your many efforts Michalis.

Thousand thanks! There is only 1 important error:

- Cube map environmental texturing: view3dscene supports it fully (all 3
levels, with some extensions in fact), and I'm very proud of it :) (This
is a very neat way to easily make mirrors in some situations, see
http://castle-engine.sourceforge.net/x3d_implementation_cubemaptexturing.php
, in particular "Tutorial: How to make a mirror").

Also, some strings "partial" may be replaced with actual numbers of
supported levels, but that's completely up to you. I see that some
browsers on the wiki page
http://www.web3d.org/x3d/wiki/index.php/Player_support_for_X3D_components use
"level XXX", while others have enigmatic "partial". The list:

- CAD geometry: level 1
- Environmental effects: level 2 (and 4, but without 3)
- Environmental sensor: level 1 (BTW, level 2 is implemented in snapshots)
- Networking: level 1 (and many 2, 3 features, but no http support)
- NURBS: level 1
- Shape: level 2

And, as an additional suggestion: it may be useful to split
"Programmable shaders" row into three rows "Programmable shaders -
GLSL", "Programmable shaders - Cg", "Programmable shaders - HLSL". Just
like currently "Scripting" component is represented by 2 rows "Scripting
- ECMAScript" and "Scripting - Java". X3D specification only requires
support for 1 shading language to claim that component "is supported",
but in practice authors probably want to be aware which languages are
supported by their implementation.

Again, many thanks for adding view3dscene to the list. I know that
people look at this list, hopefully it will make view3dscene more widely
known. And I'll be sure to bother you with updates from time to time,
when next view3dscene version will be released :)

Michalis