[X3D-Public] WebGL Demo

Joshua Smith jesmith at kaon.com
Fri Sep 7 10:55:00 PDT 2012

I hope so, too, Tony, and I think we probably will in a couple of years, once the tech matures a bit.

Until then, there are probably cases like iAds on iOS where it might start to be viable in a limited way.

Of all the approaches to browser-native 3D I've seen (back to the built-in VRML viewer in IE, which I'm sure you remember), WebGL is the first one I've seen that gives developers enough flexibility to be a solution for real commercial applications. All we need now is adoption, which means something has to happen on the IE front.

If MS is that paranoid about drive-by shader attacks, perhaps they should just do a software renderer like Chrome has as a fallback.

Oh, and then "whitelist" selected sites to be hardware accelerated, like they're going to do with Flash video. :)

-Joshua