[X3D-Public] Player support for X3D components - Cube map environmental texturing, shaders

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Sat Sep 15 19:34:40 PDT 2012

On 9/2/2012 11:02 AM, Michalis Kamburelis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Bump :) May I ask to update http://www.web3d.org/x3d/wiki/index.php/Player_support_for_X3D_components about view3dscene, esp. to mark that we have "Cube map environmental texturing" fully supported? Thanks!

So sorry to miss this earlier, apologies Michalis.  Now updated,
with congratulations.

Other Web3D members are also welcome to update this page.
When doing so, simply also update the reason so that the History tab
makes sense too.  Thanks!

http://www.web3d.org/x3d/wiki/index.php?title=Player_support_for_X3D_components&action=history

> Below is the original mail from a month ago:

>> hopefully I got it, thanks for your many efforts Michalis.
>
> Thousand thanks! There is only 1 important error:

Support page is now updated for viewx3dscene Cube map environmental texturing.

> - Cube map environmental texturing: view3dscene supports it fully (all 3 levels, with some extensions in fact), and I'm very proud of it :) (This is a very neat way to easily make mirrors in some situations, see http://castle-engine.sourceforge.net/x3d_implementation_cubemaptexturing.php , in particular "Tutorial: How to make a mirror").

Very cool.  Unfortunately am missing these three nodes from X3D Tooltips,
X3D-Edit, and X3D Basic examples.  Hoping to work on them in the near future.
When I get there and am able to test, scene examples will be welcome.

    34.4.1 ComposedCubeMapTexture
    34.4.2 GeneratedCubeMapTexture
    34.4.3 ImageCubeMapTexture

> Also, some strings "partial" may be replaced with actual numbers of supported levels, but that's completely up to you. I see that some browsers on the wiki page http://www.web3d.org/x3d/wiki/index.php/Player_support_for_X3D_components use "level XXX", while others have enigmatic "partial". The list:
>
> - CAD geometry: level 1
> - Environmental effects: level 2 (and 4, but without 3)
> - Environmental sensor: level 1 (BTW, level 2 is implemented in snapshots)
> - Networking: level 1 (and many 2, 3 features, but no http support)
> - NURBS: level 1
> - Shape: level 2

I'm concerned about my ability to keep up with these in a timely manner.
Of course it is not just your tool's status, but the status of all tools.

Hence my public recommendations that (a) people join Web3D Consortium,
and (b) they feel free to help.  More activity is always good.

> And, as an additional suggestion: it may be useful to split "Programmable shaders" row into three rows "Programmable shaders - GLSL", "Programmable shaders - Cg", "Programmable shaders - HLSL". Just like currently "Scripting" component is represented by 2 rows "Scripting - ECMAScript" and "Scripting - Java". X3D specification only requires support for 1 shading language to claim that component "is supported", but in practice authors probably want to be aware which languages are supported by their implementation.

excellent suggestion, thank you.  i have done that and
linked each shader language to the appropriate X3D Spec annex.

For viewx3dscene, have listed support for GLSL.

For the rest, have put status of ?? throughout.  Can someone check and
update (or at least make a list of) advertised support for other players?

> Again, many thanks for adding view3dscene to the list. I know that people look at this list, hopefully it will make view3dscene more widely known. And I'll be sure to bother you with updates from time to time, when next view3dscene version will be released :)

Very good.  From bottom of that page:

	This page has been accessed 73,522 times.

I hope to be more responsive, and am very happy about your great work.
Again thanks Michalis.