[X3D-Public] proposed feature: ability for scene to query browser regarding node support
brutzman at nps.edu
Thu Apr 4 07:45:06 PDT 2013
On 4/4/2013 7:37 AM, Joe D Williams wrote:
> Hi Don,
>> query browser regarding node support
> As Leonard mentioned in the meeting, mostly much better to depend upon
> existing declarations.
Sorry Joe, but I'm not following, please elaborate.
Regarding existing declarations:
- Existing declarations of X3D version/profile/component in
specification/schema/DTD are exact
- Browser declarations in documentation are often missing or change over
- An author doesn't know in advance whose browser/player will be used
for their scene, and so cannot be certain of support
The idea that I'm suggesting is, should an authored script be able to
check with the Browser to see if a given node is supported?
- Being able to check this allows the author to provide an alternative
- Also allows at least some form of graceful declaration
- Example: "Sorry, your X3D browser is missing CAD support using NURBS,
please click here to see the video instead"
all the best, Don
Don Brutzman Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br brutzman at nps.edu
Watkins 270, MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA +1.831.656.2149
X3D graphics, virtual worlds, navy robotics http://faculty.nps.edu/brutzman
More information about the X3D-Public