[X3D-Public] X3D player support for NURBS

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 18:24:41 PDT 2013

Don Brutzman wrote:
> Example scenes and screenshot images for current tests are online.
>
> http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/NURBS/
> http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/NURBS/images
>
> Tested players include BS Contact (partial), H3DViewer (partial),
> Instant Reality (good), View3dScene (partial) and Xj3D (good).
> Attached is a corresponding visual directory of supporting player
> snapshots. A missing image means that a player didn't render a given scene.

As for view3dscene missing images:

1. Animated Nurbs Patch Surface Head --- view3dscene renders it ok.
There were problems with incorrect bounding box calculation (fixed now)
and lack of animation (also fixed now). Fixes are in SVN. Use
view3dscene from snapshots,
http://michalis.ii.uni.wroc.pl/castle-engine-snapshots/ , to test them.
They will be part of next view3dscene 3.14.0.

2. NurbsTrimmedSurface.trimmingControur is not implemented yet, that's
why the related examples are not correct (but they still render the
untrimmed surface Ok). Implementing NurbsTrimmedSurface is conceptually
easy but it's a little tedious and boring... that's why I didn't do it
yet. Contributions are welcome :), encouraging me to implement them by
drowning me in more test files, links to other implementations, maybe
even donations, is welcome too :)

Also, NurbsCurve2D in test files seems to miss the proper containerField
declaration. This seems to be a bug in test files (but I didn't check
now what's the default containerField for NurbsCurve2D in "X3D XML
encoding spec", so it may be our bug as well).

3. The rest of tests from
http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/NURBS/ seems to be
handled Ok. There are some errors in the test files themselves,
view3dscene warnings are usually right to point the errors in VRML/X3D
content :)

BTW, I notice you don't have checks for NURBS interpolators, which are
quite cool feature. Our demo_models contains simple tests of them, see
http://castle-engine.sourceforge.net/demo_models.php , tests are inside
nurbs/ subdirectory: nurbs_curve_interpolators.wrl,
nurbs_curve_interpolators.x3dv , nurbs_surface_interpolator.x3dv .
Although they use view3dscene-specific CastleScript code, it may be
required to rewrite it to JS to make them cross-browser.

Aside from that, everyone is welcome to report view3dscene bugs to our
bugtracker on https://sourceforge.net/p/castle-engine/tickets/ .
Reporting there a bug, with testcase attached, is the best way to have
your problem fixed :)

Michalis