[X3D-Public] X3D for Web Authors Examples Archive, plus audio test scene of different sound formats

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Sat Dec 7 12:07:57 PST 2013

Further resources for authors are now available.

First, I've tuned up the chapter summaries for the X3D for Web Authors Examples Archive.  Each now provides links to supporting videos, slidesets, and also tooltip links for the individual X3D nodes introduced in each chapter.  This appears to be useful, the examples archive summary almost serves as an annotated reference card for all of the common nodes used in the X3D Immersive Profile.  Here is link, also attached.

	http://x3dgraphics.com/examples/X3dForWebAuthors

Additionally here is a helpful scene that tests X3D plugin and HTML browser support for various audio formats.

	http://x3dgraphics.com/examples/X3dForWebAuthors/Chapter12-EnvironmentSensorSound
	Sound File Formats
	http://x3dgraphics.com/examples/X3dForWebAuthors/Chapter12-EnvironmentSensorSound/_pages/page12.html
	http://x3dgraphics.com/examples/X3dForWebAuthors/Chapter12-EnvironmentSensorSound/SoundFileFormats.x3d

Documentation version with convenient audio-file links:
	http://x3dgraphics.com/examples/X3dForWebAuthors/Chapter12-EnvironmentSensorSound/SoundFileFormats.html

I used the ZOOM H2next Handy Recorder to create the audio file, it is very elegant and compact hardware.  Also a great holiday gift - to yourself maybe. 8)

	http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/h2n

Finally it is worth reporting that high-quality open-source tools are available that greatly simplify production of audio content.  Audio file format conversions were produced by using the Audacity, and the midi example was provided by the MuseScore music/midi editor.

	Audacity, http://audacity.sourceforge.net
	MuseScore, http://musescore.org

Each tool is installable and launchable via X3D-Edit.  Authors can also configure it to use their own preferred multimedia tools.

	https://savage.nps.edu/X3D-Edit

Key X3D specification information for audio file formats is found in
	16.4.1 AudioClip
	http://www.web3d.org/files/specifications/19775-1/V3.3/Part01/components/sound.html#AudioClip
> Browsers shall support at least the wavefile format in uncompressed PCM format (see [WAV]).
> It is recommended that browsers also support the MIDI file type 1 sound format (see 2.[MIDI])
> and the MP3 compressed format (see 2.[I11172-1]). MIDI files are presumed to use the General MIDI patch set.

Wondering what other file formats ought to be listed?  This is an action item for X3D v3.4 specification development:
	http://web3d.org/wiki/index.php/X3D_version_3.4_Development
> Audio and video: adding royalty-free formats, streamability, aural spatialization using reflection from simple geometry.

Comments and discussion are welcome.  Have fun with X3D!