[X3D-Public] Web3D membership opportunities; X3D WG Meeting plans, 11/12 December: binary compression, MIME type

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Sat Dec 7 13:12:20 PST 2013

1. There are lots of areas of developmental progress occurring that, frankly, are pretty wonderful.  The X3D Working Group continues to successfully address many long-elusive goals for 3D graphics on the Web.  Also active are the Augmented Reality Continuum (ARC), Computer-Aided Design (CAD), Geospatial (X3D Earth), Humanoid Animation (H-Anim) and Medical Working Groups as well as the Web3D Korea Chapter.

	http://www.web3d.org/realtime-3d/working-groups

When you consider the exposure to valuable information and potential for meaningful contribution, there probably has never been a better time to join the current Web3D Consortium members who are together working to advance their respective interests by using the X3D standard.  To learn more about member benefits and opportunities:

	http://www.web3d.org/realtime-3d/about
	http://web3d.org/membership/join

If you want to join in a few working-group teleconference calls as an observer, and possibly join other partners as a Member, please let us know.  Inquiries are welcome.

2. This week Len and I reviewed a number of X3D Working Group planning items during the weekly teleconference.

3.  Next Wednesday December 11 (08-0930 pacific) the weekly X3D teleconference will review regular status and progress of Compressed Binary Encoding Call for Contributions, which lists all of the guiding technical requirements and goals in detail.

	http://web3d.org/wiki/index.php/X3D_Binary_Compression_Capabilities_and_Plans
	http://www.web3d.org/realtime-3d/working-groups/x3d/compressed-binary/x3d-compressed-binary-encoding-call-contributions

Year-end strategic review:
* We reviewed several goals and developmental capabilities at the Web3D 2013 Conference in June 2013.
* We accomplished our strategic goal to define X3D Compressed Binary Encoding (CBE) requirements and plan next steps during 2013.
* We are now soliciting and reviewing multiple contributions to possibly accomplish all of these efforts during calendar year 2014.

Recently the Fraunhofer group provided an outstanding briefing on how they are integrating their many efforts at X3D compression from three experimental nodes into a single geometry node for Mesh encodings that includes many of our goal capabilities for X3D.  Impressive demonstrated results include efficient geometric compression, high performance, high capacity, progressive level of detail, streamability, etc.  The current versions are implemented both in InstantReality and X3DOM.  These contributions already meet all of the necessary Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) policy requirements for royalty-free use on the Web.

	http://web3d.org/wiki/index.php/X3D_Binary_Compression_Capabilities_and_Plans#Contributions_Received
	http://web3d.org/wiki/images/7/77/Mesh_encodings_for_X3DOM_-_Recent_Advances_-_ML_-_12NOV2013.pdf

Further detail available on X3DOM Progressively Ordered Primitives (POP) is available at

	http://www.x3dom.org/pop

Other potential technology contributors have contacted us about their work relevant to binary compression.  We are happy to consider each.  Private inquiries to the working group cochairs are also welcome if needed.

	http://www.web3d.org/realtime-3d/page/contact/x3d-chairs

4.  Next Thursday December 12 (08-0900 pacific) we will finish our response to the latest (and probably final) round of MIME type feedback with IETF.

	http://web3d.org/wiki/index.php/X3D_MIME-Type

5.  Thanks for considering progress and possibilities.  Have fun with X3D!