[X3D-Public] X3D for Web Authors Examples Archive, plus audio test scene of different sound formats

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 16:02:36 PST 2013

Don Brutzman wrote:
>> Browsers shall support at least the wavefile format in uncompressed PCM format (see [WAV]).
>> It is recommended that browsers also support the MIDI file type 1 sound format (see 2.[MIDI])
>> and the MP3 compressed format (see 2.[I11172-1]). MIDI files are presumed to use the General MIDI patch set.
>
> Wondering what other file formats ought to be listed?

Ogg Vorbis, please. It is an open format, offering good lossy
compression, beats MP3 IMHO (is not encumbered in any patents), and is
widely accepted (at least in game gev, with both open- and closed-source
engines).

view3dscene and Castle Game Engine support only Wav and OggVorbis
formats and so far everyone seems happy with it :)

And I would think about removing MIDI from the list of advised formats.
MIDI is a rather old format (and idea). At least for a modern game
engine, MIDI support seems rather useless.

Michalis