[X3D-Public] X3D for Web Authors Examples Archive, plus audio test scene of different sound formats

cbullard at hiwaay.net cbullard at hiwaay.net
Tue Dec 10 12:21:33 PST 2013

MIDI is still widely used in music production.  As a delivery format
not so much for music (we exchange midis like docHeads exchange XML:
as input).

The URL below is an example of a midi-based production (the orchestra)
with wav file overdubs (voice and guitar) (A youtube video but the
process is the same) which is then rendered out as an mp4.  This is
just to refute the idea that midi is an "old format" not in much use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVeAuKoemNo&feature=c4-overview&list=UUQvOiEo12qnnekOauzmXY_Q

That and "Softly As I Leave You" are both heavily midi-derived but
rendered.  Just as with graphics, it all comes down to the rendering
engines.

Supporting midi doesn't cost much I would think.  Would one used in a
mixed set of file types for a 3D real-time world?  I have but I
discourage it because midi rendering varies horribly by platform.
It's a cheap way to get sounds but it sounds cheap unless as with the
production above a professional synth is used and then the mixing
takes care of equalization, effects, compression, expansion, etc.

The bad news is wav files while preferred for production aren't pushed
much.  MP3s are.  Ogg doesn't exist outside the small groups that use
it.  MP3s are.

Sad but so.  And as an aside, mp3 reproduction from browser to browser
has the same problems as other formats: uneven performance in the
equalization (what would be for graphics folks, a color palette map
per renderer.

No free lunch.  I'd keep midi and wav and make mp3s a "strongly
advised" option to get around the ip encumbrance problems.  Midi can
be optional but Lauren is right about automation, robotics, etc.
although I don't know if that is used as much as it once was.

len