[X3D-Public] MIDI node was X3D for Web Authors Examples Archive, plus audio test scene of different sound formats

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Wed Dec 11 18:31:42 PST 2013

On 12/11/2013 8:16 AM, doug sanden wrote:
>>[...]
> The one on this page?
> http://www.3dversion.com/vrmlWorlds.html.0.html
> it seems to use .wav for sound, one .wav file per tone.

hint: click on keyboard cover to open, then a single-octave keyboard appears.

This looks like a variation on a 4-key keyboard from the VRML Sourcebook

	Figure 24.4 Four Key Keyboard
	Four keys in a keyboard, showing how pitch can vary a single sound source.
	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Vrml2.0Sourcebook/Chapter24-Sound
	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Vrml2.0Sourcebook/Chapter24-Sound/_pages/page04.html
	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Vrml2.0Sourcebook/Chapter24-Sound/Figure24.4FourKeyKeyboard.x3d

This scene is interesting because
- it uses a single tone .wav
- it uses the pitch field to change frequency
- it requires multiple retrievals of the souncd file since both url and pitch are controlled by AudioClip

Some years ago an NPS student extended this approach to (most of) 88 keys at
http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/StudentProjects/KeyboardEightyEightKeys.x3d
http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/StudentProjects/KeyboardEightyEightKeys.html

p.s. recommended listening, Rocket 88
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_88_(band)
http://www.youtube.com/v/Q6SiUveoqlA

hmm, was there ever a paper about this?  certainly John Stewart has done a lot with midi and freewrl...

it would be interesting to prototype a MIDI node and get it working.