[X3D-Public] [Cad] Additive Manufacturing File Format - working group discussion, year-end recap

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Thu Dec 19 14:19:58 PST 2013

CAD Working Group meeting, attendees Vince Marcetti, Dick Puk, Don Brutzman.

http://www.web3d.org/realtime-3d/working-groups/computer-aided-design-cad
http://www.web3d.org/wiki/index.php/X3D_CAD

1.  First topic: AMF.

On 12/18/2013 9:35 AM, Don Brutzman wrote:
> Wondering if anyone in the CAD working group has looked at AMF yet?
>
> 	https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Additive_Manufacturing_File_Format

> p.p.s. Incidentally ASTM is charging $48 for this 15-page ISO standards document.
> http://www.astm.org/Standards/F2915.htm

Basic use case: 3D printing of X3D model.

X3D :: AMF
- Polygonal geometry nodes :: Object mesh
- NURBS or other surfaces :: "Curved triangle" tesselation with attached normals, can be fitted to parametry surface
- Indication of closed boundary for collected Shape nodes :: object
- Material colors :: color
- Texture :: texture
- Metadata for printed construction materials :: Material
- (Possible) extract external boundaries of X3D volume :: Object mesh

AMF to X3D: looks similarly feasible.

Of related interest:  AbFab3D is the open-source server-side Java model used by Shapeways, perhaps a relationship there?
- http://abfab3d.com
- http://www.shapeways.com/forum/pdf.php?th=11570&

ISO has a technical committee working with ASTM on this standard.
- Technical Committee ISO/TC 261 "Additive manufacturing"
- http://isotc.iso.org/livelink/livelink/open/tc261

Initial impression:  this is a possible activity for the CAD group in 2014.

2.  Don and Vince plan to work on getting a worthwhile standalone jgeom demo to work.  They are currently applets.  Maybe we could try making a swing standalone.

- https://sourceforge.net/projects/jgeom/
- http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/uiswing/components/applet.html

We'll look at this again next week, Monday 1 pacific / 4 eastern.

Thanks to everybody, the CAD group had a super year!
- X3D v3.3 specification updates
- X3DOM and X3D-Edit and X3D Validator support
- kshell server converting STEP to X3D
- jgeom release and corresponding NURBS support in Xj3D
- Shapeway printing of X3D (hey get your key fobs!)
- Good work in progress on X3D Binary that will help X3D CAD
- Punted B-Reps downstream!  Keep the focus on NURBS.
- Another meeting planned in Korea week of 20 January
- Published excellent set of examples for browser testing, more are always welcome
  http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/CAD

Happy holidays everyone!