[X3D-Public] Support for submeshes?

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 08:53:01 PST 2013

Dave A wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Been a while since I parsed the spec, but is there support for submeshes?
> You know, where one set of vertices is shared by different poly or
> triangle lists, and each of those lists
> corresponds to a different Appearance?
>
> Or would I have to create a Group under which I would put Shapes, with
> the first Shape's geometry containing the coordinate list (and first
> submesh's indices),
> then subsequent Shapes would USE that coordinate list, providing their
> own indices (and Appearances of course)?

Yes, to share vertices you can reuse the Coordinate node by DEF/USE like
you described. If you want a different Appearance or indices, you have
to make a different Shape node, so there is no way around it.

(You could alternatively create a PROTO that expands to a Shape with a
default coordinate list. But since prototypes are expanded this may be
worse for memory use.)

Michalis