[X3D-Public] Bump Mapping, Was: Support for submeshes?

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 10:29:08 PST 2013

Dave A wrote:
> Also, for interchange, a more semantic way to specify simple shader
> types like Bump, Bump Specular, etc. would be great. Otherwise, the
> reader needs to do some AI to figure out what the intent was.

There is a simple extension in view3dscene to specify bump mapping
(http://castle-engine.sourceforge.net/x3d_extensions.php#section_ext_bump_mapping
).

There is also a more involved, but also more flexible
CommonSurfaceShader for InstantReality
(http://doc.instantreality.org/tutorial/commonsurfaceshader/ ). Although
I don't know whether it's available in Interchange mode.

I would love to see X3D spec extended to incorporate one of these bump
mapping methods :)

Michalis