[X3D-Public] Support for submeshes?

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 10:27:57 PST 2013

Tony Parisi wrote:
> I guess if it's just for interchange, Michalis and Cecile are correct;
> you can use Shape nodes all you want. It just won't render the way
> expected in a compliant X3D player (you'll likely see seams).

Why? You will not see seams if you use exactly the same sets of
coordinates, sharing them by DEF/USE, for all shapes. GPUs guarantee a
proper pixel fill here, if all the shapes are under the same
transformation, and rendered internally by the same method (e.g. all by
OpenGL display lists, or none by OpenGL display lists, all by shaders or
none by shaders).

Otherwise, the seams would be unavoidable, regardless if X3D has a
special node for submeshes or not.

Michalis