[X3D-Public] Support for submeshes?

Keith Victor keithrvictor at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 13:52:07 PST 2013

Hello:

Way back in the day, Shout3D had such an extension in their Node Set.
They called it MultiMesh.

http://shout3d.net/shout3d_2.5_doc_dir/docs/nodes_reference/MultiMesh.html

( Looks like someone is still paying the bills at Shout3d! )

The basic idea is that they replaced the SFNode appearance field in the
Shape node with a MFNode field ( appearences ), which is a LIST of
appearance nodes, rather than a single Appearance node.
Then, the Geometry node would have an additional field:  MFInt32,
appearanceIndex.  Which assigns an appearance Index for each TRIANGLE. ( or
face )

That general approach was a bit messy.  I would have preferred that they
specify the transition between the appearances, so it forces the author to
place all the triangles ( or Faces ) that share the same appearance to be
next to eachother. ( so the renderer does not have to do so )

So, we would have:

MultiAppearanceShape
{
SFNode geometry
MFNode appearances
}

AND

AdditionalfieldOnGeometryNode:

MFInt32 appearanceIndex   ( index of appearance node Per Face )

or

MFInt32 appearanceTransition  (index of the Face where we transition to the
next appearance )

Keith Victor