[X3D-Public] [h-anim] view3dscene support for h-anim visualization

Joe D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 31 21:30:23 PDT 2013

> view3dscene has some nice support for h-anim Joint visualization:
> spheres and names (as text).

Yes, wonderful to show the HAnim model data structure like that, along
with a hierarchy diagram to complete the basic documentation. Easy to
see the sparse detail of the feet and ankle in our current skeleton
spec.

A very nice way to start defining your personal character. Just edit
the Joint center locations to your dimensions, save it with your name
on it, and you are off to a great start with a 'standard' ISO
Humanoid.

Great Guest, and of course my aim was to reveal the deepest details of
classic X3D HAnim, except I left out our end-effectors. I didn't
mention our highly parameterized and instrumentable skeleton and skin
structures and barely hinted at the potential of haptic connections
with this HAnim model. I also left out that I am sure that the entire
reason for VRML and X3D is to present the most realistic and
responsive Humanoid possible for creative play in collaborative
environments.

Reminds me that we need a skin or two or three or maybe four.

The idea is an example of about 30000 vertices, another example at
maybe 8000 to 10000 points, another from about 7000 to 4000, and
another with maybe 1500 or so.
The intent is to align with the various levels of articulation
possible with skeleton LOA0, 1, 2 and 3, ... . Each skin includes a
mapped texture that identifies by mark the set of surface Site (Annex
A) and surface feature point (Annex B) locations.

The binding details start with providing:

(1) a continous-mesh that is drawn in tight 'A' pose (see HAnim
skeleton default pose prior to animation), drawn in typical human
space, 0 0 0 origin between the feet (root x and z at 0, xyz vertex
position in meters (see example typical skeleton dimensions in Annex
A), with point max-z at skull-tip site, with point index proceeding
ccw in the same general order as the Humanoid skeleton hierarchy
diagram given in the spec. The general intent is to group sets of
vertices that will be bound to individual and adjacent Joint nodes.

Further, it is preferred that the set of vertices that represent the
position of defined surface features are preserved in each denisity
rendition of the mesh.

This geometry will be used as an HAnim Humanoid skin field.

(2) All Joint skinCoordIndex[] and skinCoordWeight[] data for each
particular skin binding to matching skeleton LOA. This data binds
deformation animation of the skin.

Together the skins and the appropriate index and weight data are used
as reference LOA examples to support HAnim and X3D implementations.

Thanks Again,
Joe