[X3D-Public] announce: X3D Schematron rule improvements, updated X3D Validator, X3D-Edit

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Wed Jun 12 07:47:56 PDT 2013

Joe you are quite right, the following example is not yet ready for
prime time!  Thanks for the caveat.

https://savage.nps.edu/X3dValidator?url=http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/HumanoidAnimation/HAnimSpecificationLOA3Illustrated.x3d

I have updated the warning in this scene to reflect the status of our
current work:

visualizations)' name='warning'/>

Everyone should please note that use of the X3D Validator clearly
supports improved collaboration between authors.  Joe and I have not
only been improving scenes, but we have also been identifying and adding
quality assurance (QA) rules that diagnose authoring issues in any HAnim
scenes.

So this helps everyone ensure that the X3D content they build or use
meets both the requirements and the intent of the X3D specifications.

On 6/11/2013 8:50 PM, Joe D Williams wrote:
> '2 June 2013'
>           <!-- No segment line geometry drawn at HumanoidRoot -->
>
> Sorry Don, I hope we can advance on this. You mentioned about confusion
> in examples and this is a great example confusion factor.
> This work on LOA3Illustrated has helped me with my ongoing example by
> finally correcting the pelvis connections. Also, I was finally able to
> follow the hierarchy diagram and get r_ and l_sternoclavicular segments
> to vt1 connected. Also, a major one I didn't realize was there turned
> out that I had my Joint markers as direct children of the Joint so now
> Moved to child Segment.

cool.  clarity is clearing confusion for community!

> So, I hope either for a small disclaimer "User code for Segment geometry
> is auto-generated for visualization of humanoid Joint,, Segment, and
> Site dimensions only and will not work for animation. This will be fixed
> by parenting the Segment geometry to the parent Joint instead of the
> child Joint as soon as the code generator gets it right.
> Anyway, I know I am not directly helping by pointing to this very
> important issue, but let's recover from this little diversion and get an
> example out there that shows what we have learned so far.

You are exactly right, this is not a division but steady improvement.  I
opted for a shorter warning for clarity, since the visualizations while
unmoving are OK.

Our efforts continue, the improved diagnostics help.  Did anyone also
notice that the validation tool now diagnoses asymmetries in the
specification provided HAnimHumanoid skeleton?!  Pretty interesting, I
had not heard anyone notice that before.  We should fix that, rather
than starting with leaning or limping.

We will continue the HAnim development on the HAnim mail list (cc:ed).
Again thanks for all feedback.