[X3D-Public] X3D CAD working group: progress and plans

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Thu Jun 13 14:46:45 PDT 2013

[Vince and I had a good discussion today.  Apologies Hyo if we missed
you today, our timings were each a bit mixed up.]

CAD updates follow.  Am cc:ing Web3D Consortium members and public list
since a lot of these items have general interest.

X3D v3.3 Final Draft International Standard (FDIS) is complete, sent to
ISO member nations for approval balloting, and released online.  Thanks
to Dick Puk, Leonard Daly and many many working-group contributors for
their magnificent efforts on this.
http://www.web3d.org/files/specifications/19775-1/V3.3/Part01/Architecture.html
http://www.web3d.org/files/specifications/19775-1/V3.3/Part01/components/CADGeometry.html

Separate message sent about X3DOM status.. this is a great milestone.
Will confirm deployment details f2f next week at conference.

Web3D 2013 fob announcement looks good:
http://www.web3d.org/realtime-3d/news/x3d-key-chain-fob-available-web3d-2013-conference

Web3D 2013 Conference is next week, multiple topics of interest:
http://web3d2013.web3d.org/program.html
- 3D Compression Workshop (n.b. meeting location changed to primary
conference site)
	http://www.web3d.org/realtime-3d/news/3d-graphics-compress-call-contributions
- Web3D and Industrial Use Cases Workshop - Christophe Mouton organizer
- "Interactive, Interoperable Web-based presentation of large CAD models
in the Browser," Speakers: Johannes Behr, Yvonne Jung, Fraunhofer IGD
- "Print the Web in 3D - status of the Web3D Consortium CAD Working
Group, Speaker: Don Brutzman, Naval Postgraduate School

During July we plan to review correct support of NURBS by all browsers,
and report prior to SIGGRAPH.

SIGGRAPH 2013 is 21-25 July in Anaheim California (near LA):
http://s2013.siggraph.org/attendees/birds-feather
- CAD Export to the Web Using X3D, Tuesday, 23 July 11:00 AM - 12:30 PM
| Anaheim Convention Center - Room 201 D
- This session is for attendees interested in Web3D applications for
CAD. Discussion topics include X3D CAD Profile, STEP, NURBS, B-REP, and
CAD data conversion.

During August we plan to implement the Geometry2D component in X3DOM
since it appears to be critical for CADPart export.

Starting in September we plan to assist other browsers as necessary and
implement the NURBS component in X3DOM.

Discussion point:  should we also add Extrusion to the list of nodes
needed to provide good support for X3D CAD?  It can be useful for many
CAD parts.  Implementation vagaries have some similarities to how NURBS
implementations are uneven... perhaps restricting some boundary cases
might help implementations achieve interoperability.

In December we will review this year's outstanding progress!  I am
thinking we will be very close to having most or all of our wish list
for 2013 complete.  That will let us focus in 2014 on tool support for
CAD model export, CAD Mobile/Interactive Profile, 3D printing and a
growing number of cool applications.

Onward and upward.  Looking forward to seeing many of you next week in
Spain, adios!