[X3D-Public] need 3D Programs exporting X3D including nurbsPatchSurface

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Wed Jun 26 12:50:40 PDT 2013

Thanks for posting this very helpful list Phillip.

The X3D CAD group is working on CAD export portability.  Perhaps you
want to subscribe to that mailing list.  More about X3D CAD at

	http://www.web3d.org/realtime-3d/working-groups/computer-aided-design-cad

Knowing what 3D -> X3D exporters work with NURBS will be helpful.
Perhaps at some point we can provide server-based solutions that scan
for IFS/triangle meshes and surface-fit NURBS replacements.  If anyone
knows of open-source Java that can perform that trick, then we might
even integrate it into X3D-Edit.

the jgeom site provides a good NURBS library, but I don't think that
includes surface fitting.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/jgeom/?source=directory

We reported yesterday regarding how Geometry2D support has gotten pretty
good in X3D players.  Next up will be reviewing our inventory of NURBS
support in X3D players.  Our goal is to have a workable CAD/mobile
profile defined and deployed for X3D v3.4 by the end of the year.  Our
slideset materials will all be getting updated and refreshed over the
next 2 weeks in anticipation of SIGGRAPH.

All participation and contributions are welcome.  Again thanks for
starting this discussion.