[X3D-Public] Need a multitexture example (that works)

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 09:45:48 PDT 2013

Dave A wrote:
> Does anyone have an X3D (xml) example that works? That is, works in any
> browser, preferably every browser?
> Looking for just a bump map. Doesn't have to have a shader. Something
> simple.
> Thanks

Since nobody else answered, I think that my answer from the older thread
"Need good multitexture example" still holds:

You cannot really make a simple bump mapping with a light source with a
spec-compliant X3D. Not without writing a non-trivial shader in
GLSL/Cg/HLSL. The standard X3D gives you only multi-texturing
DOTPRODUCT3 mode, which is barely a start for the (simplest) bump
mapping type. And, as the multi-texturing part of the X3D spec has a lot
of issues in my opinion (I reported them many times without any effect
so far), I suspect that even DOTPRODUCT3 will not work uniformly on all
browsers.

There are view3dscene and InstantReality extensions to make bump mapping
easily working, but these are not standard.

See
http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2013-February/002287.html and

http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2013-February/002292.html .

Michalis