[X3D-Public] support for JSON in X3D players?

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 06:40:52 PDT 2013

Don Brutzman wrote:
> There have been a number of interesting discussions in recent months
> regarding JSON.
>

> - Castle Game Engine

Not yet, but definitely someday. We plan to have a nice complete JS
support in view3dscene 3.14.0 (right now we're at 3.12.0), using Besen
(http://code.google.com/p/besen/).

> Meanwhile, several of us are interested in examining whether an X3D
> encoding using JSON might have any use. It probably isn't too hard to
> define an X3D encoding in JSON, we could write a stylesheet to produce
> that from the X3D Schema.

I'm not sure about this...

For an X3D browser, like view3dscene, it is not much of a problem to
handle yet another X3D encoding, as I already have architecture to do
this and I'm willing to spend some time on this (as my users may use
it). And JSON is easy.

But think about people that implement X3D importers to external software
(that is not tied to VRML/X3D crowd), like VRML/X3D importers in Blender
and 3DS Max. They do not have the resources (they simply do not want to
spend a lot of time on this), they may also do not have nice code
architecture for this (as such importers may be just quickly hacked
together only to understand most popular stuff). They would probably
prefer to limit the number of X3D encodings (e.g. remove classic
encoding), not to add yet another possible encoding.

Anyway, it will certainly be nice to see more input from tools/browsers
about this :)

Regards,
Michalis