[X3D-Public] X3D MultiTexture tests

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Mon May 6 14:33:39 PDT 2013

Cecile Muller wrote:
> Great test files :-)
> If that can be helpful, here are screenshots when they're rendered in
> Contact, Octaga and Instant Player:
> https://github.com/wildpeaks/x3d-multi-texture/archive/master.zip

This is *very* helpful, thank you very much, you saved me much time on
testing. I'm preparing a nice list summarizing the results of various
X3D browsers on these tests. For now, I'm attaching it to this email, I
will add it to the webpage soon (no time today, I have to go to sleep :).

The results are a little grim: various X3D browsers fail on these tests,
in various (different!) ways. Pretty much every feature is broken on at
least one of the tested X3D browsers. This really proves that we need to
fix the multi-texturing specification, and test it better, hopefully the
current effort will result in a better situation in the future :)

If I may ask: could you download the latest tests from
http://castle-engine.sourceforge.net/x3d_multi_texturing.php and
redo the tests (on the same 3 browsers) for functions.x3d[v] and
primitives.x3d[v]? I improved these two tests today:

1. functions.x3dv: uses squirrel_alpha to make sure that
MultiTexture.function=COMPLEMENT only changes RGB, not alpha.

2. primitives.x3dv: remove MovieTexture usage there, as MovieTexture
seems surprisingly buggy/missing in all browsers (well, except
view3dscene of course :), at least when combined with multi-texturing.
And the purpose of primitives.x3dv was not to test MovieTexture.

Regards and many thanks,
Michalis