[X3D-Public] X3D MultiTexture tests - summary of tests on other browsers

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Thu May 9 16:07:07 PDT 2013

Hi,

I just updated the multi-texturing tests page on:

   http://castle-engine.sourceforge.net/x3d_multi_texturing.php

I summarized under each test the results on tested browsers, with links
to screenshots from 3 browsers (thanks Cecile!). In total, this page
summarizes the results of 5 browsers:

- FreeWRL
- BS Contact
- Instant Player
- Octaga Player
- view3dscene (reference screenshot)

The details about browser versions are in the section "1.1. Details
about browsers tested" on that page.

Testing helped to clarify many things. E.g. situation of problem 5 (does
"COMPLEMENT" work on alpha --- specification doesn't clarify it) is now
known: Octaga implements it one way (complement alpha), 3 other browsers
implement it differently (don't complement alpha). So we can make a
conscious decision how to fix the specification. In this case, following
the majority seems most reasonable.

As always, I welcome any comments. I really want to improve the
texturing component in X3D, and I want to hear everyone's opinions about
proposed solutions on
http://castle-engine.sourceforge.net/x3d_multi_texturing.php#section_tests_details
. Especially opinions from other browser implementors are wanted, as
they (well, along with their users :) ) will carry the eventual pain of
adjusting their code to the clarified/improved specification.

I'm sending to x3d-public in the hope that this is the best way to
publicly reach all people interested in X3D. Of course, please forward
this mail (and the request for comments) to anyone interested, thank you!

Regards,
Michalis