[X3D-Public] potential free audio formats for X3D - ogg and flac

Michael Aratow maratow at noegenesis.com
Fri May 10 16:18:53 PDT 2013

I also agree wholeheartedly with revising the spec for true audio
spatialization.

We should align with the most current and adopted open standard for
sound (OpenAL?, and if so, as Michaelis has suggested, convert from
ovals to spheres).

Dave's suggestions are also great; hardware has been able to perform
true 3D spatialization of sound for a long time: anyone who remembers
Aureal, a descendent of Crystal River Engineering, knows that their
cards were easily capable of performing true sound spatialization, but
Creative bought Aureal as it was failing and I believe locked up the
technology, much like Computer Associates did with the Cosmo Player
technology.

Sound always has taken a second seat to graphics, but is just as
compelling.

Let's get the spec to be able to take on phase and even HRTFs (Head
Related Transfer Functions) which are used in true audio spatialization.

Mike