[X3D-Public] potential free audio formats for X3D - ogg and flac

pyth7 at verizon.net pyth7 at verizon.net
Sat May 11 12:07:35 PDT 2013

For several years now the Deep Matrix multi-user system for Instant Player:
http://www.deepmatrix.org
has had a Proto called "Matrix_Sound" that allows Instant Player to play ogg, au, aiff, mp3 and of course .wav using Java EAI with javazoom:
http://www.javazoom.net/index.shtml
The proto, besides having direction and location fields, does have a rough approximation of the Sound Node's maxBack, maxFront, minBack, minFront fields, but it can't do spatialize, priority and intensity. It was originally written to give Instant Player mp3 playing capability and the other formats came as perks. Also given Instant Player's lack of full support for even .wav files the proto helps fill in the blanks there as well.
 It could probably adapted to FreeWRL or any other browser with an EAI, or SAI capability.

Russ Kinter