[X3D-Public] Model Based Enterprise and X3D?

cbullard at hiwaay.net cbullard at hiwaay.net
Thu May 30 13:53:02 PDT 2013

CALS The Sequel.

It's a very old wine in a brand new bottle.   Because of being
centered on S1000D data sources (data modules typical of technical
manuals), they might make it work.  The S-series is in a pretty good
state of development.

1.  Heavily encumbered by Consortium interests and high costs.
2.  Thickly documented like bad stereo instructions.

The good news is parts of this are well-implemented by systems such as
the US Navy Common Source Database (NCSDB).  So they have a good
running start on the Navy side.   There is a bit more conflict on the
Army side with vested interests not supporting S1000D and relying on
MIL-M-40051C for most TM production.

Still, things are farther along than the late 1980s and early 90s when
this idea was last pushed hard.  Note that X3D/VRML97 are already
approved 3D types for US Navy projects involving S1000D.  My sense of
it is there are few compelling reasons to create, deliver an sustain
an IETM using 3D models given the needs for field usable TMs.   Good
idea but the delivery requirements are expensive and difficult to
justify.

len