[X3D-Public] Model Based Enterprise and X3D?

cbullard at hiwaay.net cbullard at hiwaay.net
Fri May 31 05:58:07 PDT 2013

Then Computer-aided Acquisition Support and finally Commerce At Light
Speed (Really.).  CALS followed the same path as SGML/HyTime:  before
any piece could be implemented solidly, the committee driven
consultancies dipping again and again into the Beltway Bucks Bonanza
kept making layer after layer of ever more inclusive and abstract
turtles.  The web was like blues coming to crush be-bop jazz:
uber-simplified gencoding on top of a properly layered
model-view-controller client-server over a properly layered network
stack.

It isn't that simple always wins; it is that running code beats
incomplete specifications.  Lesson learned.

X3D as JSON would "look" like refactored VRML yes?

The model-based enterprise where the CAD model drives logistics has
been doable for two decades or more.  Folks using say Solid Edge do
this every day.   The gnarly bit is to understand the point is to
finally publish books which skips over all the other illities that
need to be supported as well as the orthogonal but money hungry
marketing tasks and that the CAD model has to be de-densified for
that.  The Cortona folks have this down to a science and a good set of
tools for it,

The tasks that stifle these efforts are the intermediate dataset
standards chosen by each culture within the enterprise that support
it's names and properties from it's point of view (all the way back to
1992 Contexts and Units as Guha et al described them; thanks Dan
Brickley for reminding me of that).  So a contract comes in with CDRLs
citing a bewildering and often incompatible for just plain wrong set
of vocabularies.  Education about the application of FPIs would be a
big help.

The work at schema.org to unify searching systems might inform such an
effort but again, the trick is to declare and retain a super-focused
scope of end item requirements.   Progress has been made but we still
can't cleanly unify mil efforts for this and project to project, gig
to gig, we are forced to put glue in the form XSL and other bits of
code to bridge the domains.

Is it a good idea?  Of course.  Is it a new idea.  Hardly.  Like many
things, iteration and rediscovery and rebranding eventually result in
heroes who are proclaimed inventors and will have their fifteen
minutes.  Same as it ever was.

len