[X3D-Public] [X3D] H-Anim WG, higher LOA considerations

GLG info at 3dnetproductions.com
Thu Nov 14 00:35:38 PST 2013

I have worked with SolidWorks, which is capable of assisting with 3D
parametric modeling. Coordinates, rotation angles and translation data can
be kept in Excel spreadsheets, then interfaced with Visual Basic as a
scripting API to effect hierarchical movement as you described. It can only
export to VRML 1.0 (unless new export modules have become available) but
this is not what I am getting at.

I am mentioning the above first, because it could be a great tool for
experimenting and building the data sets and formulas that you are looking
for. But even if only for the methodology, keeping the animation data
separate from the objects, so that they may be re-used, makes sense. To that
effect, I am aware that a number of motion and gesture file formats are in
existence, some of which dealing more specifically with the skeleton. Since
similar work has already been done, some of which open source, hopefully you
can find more precisely what you are looking for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_motion_and_gesture_file_formats

Cheers,
Lauren
3DNetProductions.com