[X3D-Public] [h-anim] [X3D] H-Anim WG, higher LOA considerations

Joe D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 15 15:07:34 PST 2013

This would be a nice picture. Keep in mind we also might want to be
able to indicate surface features.

> - in essence, put sacrum at ...

The HumanoidRoot Joint is always at the center of the diagram.
Joint has Segment(s) and child Joint(s)
Segment has Site(s).
Segment can be bone.
Site is end-effector
LOAs defined by inclusion of Joint(s) and Site(s).

Even though a model 'flattened in 2D' is illustrative of the hierarchy
I still think a 3D model (such as spec Illustrated example) is most
appropriate.

The term 'flat' is interesting because even though you 'flattened' the
model in order to show the connections, there is another meaning of
"Flat" in relation to the humanoid.

This second definition of a 'Flat' skeleton would be that while the
connections between the joints appear to show a heirerchy, the 'Flat'
skelton does not work like the X3D skeleton hierarchy works. It has no
kinematics. In the "Flat" skeleton, each joint is positioned
independently of any others. I mention this again and again hoping
somone will show me wrong just because the BVH data I have seen is
meant to be applied to a "Flat' skeleton. I think Inverse kinematics
will be required to make BVH style data sets work with the X3D
hierarchal skeleton.

Best Regards,
Joe