[X3D-Public] [FreeWRL-develop] .x3z and minizip; bundling of resources for X3D binary

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Sun Oct 13 08:00:13 PDT 2013

Interesting progress on the freewrl developers list by Doug Sanden regarding the bundling of resources for a single .x3d file (such as images, audio, etc.) in a single zipped file.

This type of approach, if a common best practice emerges, might do a lot for deployability and archivability of fully-complete X3D content.  So we need to add it to the X3D Binary Compression effort.

This thread is copied here with permission... Doug please feel free to tell everyone more about how this is working out.  Thanks for your efforts.

On 9/4/2013 7:42 AM, Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) wrote:
> Wondering, what are resources?  Is that a "mac thing" ?
>
> Of relevance:  there already exists an .x3db binary encoding, and an option to use gzip.
>
> Of further interest:  we have a call for contributions for compressing X3D further, perhaps you want to contribute further.
>
> http://www.web3d.org/realtime-3d/working-groups/x3d/compressed-binary-encoding-activity
>
> http://www.web3d.org/realtime-3d/news/3d-graphics-compress-call-contributions
>
> http://www.web3d.org/realtime-3d/working-groups/x3d/compressed-binary/x3d-compressed-binary-encoding-call-contributions
>
> http://web3d.org/wiki/index.php/X3D_Binary_Compression_Capabilities_and_Plans
>
> Also:  we put the finishing touches on a mime type update for X3D during last week's working group teleconference and submitted it to IANA.  Feedback also welcome on that.
>
> http://web3d.org/wiki/index.php/X3D_MIME-Type

p.s. Leonard and I have received and responded to initial IANA response on mime type update during last week's Wednesday teleconference for X3D working group, that is moving right along too.