[X3D-Public] [X3D courses] X3D-Edit update; launching external tools

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Sat Oct 19 18:31:43 PDT 2013

On 10/7/2013 6:27 PM, Don Brutzman wrote:
> A new version of X3D-Edit is deployed which includes the latest X3D Validator tests for local use.

Updated again on 15 October.

> X3D-Edit is an open-source Extensible 3D (X3D) Graphics authoring tool for simple error-free editing, authoring and validation of X3D scenes.
>
> 	https://savage.nps.edu/X3D-Edit
>
> 	https://savage.nps.edu/X3D-Edit/#NewFeatures
>
> New features:  X3D-Edit is able to launch user-downloaded external tools for further editing of multimedia files. Configuration is performed via the X3D-Edit Preferences panel under the External editors pane. Invocation is provided as part of the url or meta tag editor widgets. User-chosen built-in support is provided for the following cross-platform editing tools.
>
> I'll be happy to embed support for launching other tools as appropriate, and of course linking them on our documentation pages.

Nicely re-sorted, further suggestions welcome:

> http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/X3dResources.html#AuthoringSoftware

Recommended cross-platform free tool links are now provided for HTML, images, sound and video:

> http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/X3dSceneAuthoringHints.html

Further improvements to this useful X3D-Edit feature are described on the project page:

https://savage.nps.edu/X3D-Edit/X3D-Edit.html#NewFeatures

X3D-Edit is able to launch user-downloaded external tools for further editing of multimedia files. Configuration is performed via the X3D-Edit Preferences panel under the Multimedia tools and X3D Authoring tools panes. Invocation is provided as part of the url or meta tag editor widgets. User-chosen built-in support is provided for the following cross-platform editing tools.
    Audio tools: Audacity and MuseScore
    HTML/XML/text tools: Amaya and UltraEdit
    Image and video tools: Gimp, Fiji, ImageJ, ImageMagick ImageConverter (screenshot) and vlc
    X3D-capable tools: Blender, MeshLab, , Paraview, Seamless3d, UltraEdit and Wings3d

Users are also able to add links to their own local tools.  Screenshots:

https://savage.nps.edu/X3D-Edit/images/X3D-EditPreferencesMultimediaTools.png
https://savage.nps.edu/X3D-Edit/images/X3D-EditPreferencesX3dAuthoringTools.png
https://savage.nps.edu/X3D-Edit/images/ImageMagickImageConverterExample.png

Still TODO:  need improved default installation directories on MacOSX and Linux distributions. Suggestions and feedback welcome.

We've also tested X3D-Edit standalone application and netbeans plugin both working properly under the newly released versions of Java 1.7.0_45 and Netbeans 7.4.  More to follow.

Step by step, better and better.  Have fun with X3D!