[X3D-Public] multi-user VR

GLG info at 3dnetproductions.com
Wed Sep 18 07:36:18 PDT 2013

Alan,

We seem to have similar goals socially. Please see 3dnpvei.com as a starting
point to follow links for the Office Towers world and the X3Daemon server.

With regard to standards, most people grossly underestimate the effort
required to build a 3D MU system, and therefore attempt to re-invent the
wheel because they want to own it, which almost invariably fail for that
same reason (This is without mentioning the technical errors that often
ensue as well, making those system non-workable for all practical purposes).

While DIS is an honorable goal, it is less a mean than an objective (You may
also want to look into H-Anim which can be a very worthy component of such
system, if someone finally puts it all together).

But these things take time and hard work from many. None of it is going to
happen until we all learn to work together into one common and coherent
system that will be gradually built up to the "Standards".

To that end, it appears to me that significant investments are going to be
necessary to support the logistic and infrastructure of such endeavor, and
that advertising should be the driving force of a revenue model, not paid
memberships.

Lauren

PS. Statement below with regard to "Single user" is misleading. Systems that
can handle multiple users and world instances are available, even though
they may not fully adhere to an X3D MU standard that do not yet truly exist.