[X3D-Public] Navigation > TURNTABLE

doug sanden highaspirations at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 24 06:32:14 PDT 2014

Herbert,
Very nice nav behavior. I like your ROTATE name too, although it may be not be specific enough now to differentiate from what might be a growing list of nav modes some of which do some sort of rotation.
I have the same question also about our YAWPITCHZOOM nav mode, which is useful for spherical panoramas, but likely others have something similar under a friendlier name. Maybe SPHERE or SPHERICAL or PANORAMA? Should we rename?

Except for our own testing, I suspect scene authors are only specifying NONE,EXAMINE,WALK,FLY.ANY in scene files. The others users would typically choose through the browser interface at runtime, and as such renaming won't impact very many current scenes. But for named choices on the UI, it might be nice to coordinate the names as well for the sake of users.

For now, just coordinating on the TURNTABLE/ROTATE and YAWPITCHZOOM/PANORAMA/SPHERICAL names would help.

So I'd say yes, rename to TURNTABLE which seems more descriptive/specific (while still supporting scene files with ROTATE), and please let me know if there's a better name for YAWPITCHZOOM.

-Doug
more...

Here's freewrl's nav modes:
NONE
[ANY:]
EXAMINE
WALK
EXFLY (for 3D pointing device)
FLY (uses keyboard keys to do 6DOF motions)
YAWPITCHZOOM - for spherical panoramas, NONE + 2 rotations + right button drag for zoom
TURNTABLE
TILT - mobile device pitch button (yaw is in walk)
TPLANE - mobile device translate up/down left/right (for/back is in walk)
RPLANE - mobile device rotate about Z

more..
If we synchronize names, one idea is to internally have a lookup table to go from previous names -also perhaps from other browsers equivalents- to new coordinated names, so scenes already authored run as expected, although when "ANY" the user may see only new names/choices on the UI.

Other options:
a. users alter their old scenes when switching browsers
b. user enters lookup table for nav modes in UI / program settings for each browser
c. x3d specs add scriptable navigation modes for scene authors to customize/articulate the exact navigation behavior they want
c.i browser developers provide a non-scene way to script navigation names and behaviors
d. browser developers submit their most popular nav modes to specs, for coordination and inclusion in specs and uniform behaviour across x3d browsers
e. browser developers coordinate informally to share nav mode behavior and names, and decide among themselves

This last one e. I think makes sense in the sort run, and could lead to d if necessary. We have a good start on e.

When doing mobile for devices with only single finger touches and drags available, I found I needed more nav buttons. Some mobile have 2 finger drags - good for some rotation and zoom, and some have tilt sensors good for more sophisticated mapping to motion.