[X3D-Public] X3D Graphics: ISO/IEC Specification Relationships

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Wed Aug 27 11:51:40 PDT 2014

Last week in Vancouver was our annual ISO/IEC SC24 meeting to review all things X3D.  Lots of excellent feedback and positive momentum occurred for all our efforts with X3D efficient binary encoding, X3D v3.4 evolution, X3D v4.0 using HTML5/X3DOM approaches, X3D JSON, Mixed and Augmented Reality (MAR), etc. etc.

One tangible product emerged thanks to discussions with Dick Puk.  Here is a new diagram that shows how the various X3D specifications relate to each other.  Special attention has been paid to distinguishing between reference models, abstract models (such as H-Anim and X3D abstract spec), file encodings, language bindings, and actual instances (scene files or code).

Following review on today's weekly X3D working group teleconference, attached please find the latest version.

This asset is maintained on the X3D Specifications page which also includes XML DTDs, schemas and related documentation for the .x3d encoding.  Diagram source is also checked into version control so that document history is easily reviewable.

http://www.web3d.org/specifications
http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dSpecificationRelationships.png
http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dSpecificationRelationships.pdf

Hopefully people find that this diagram is helpful.

Questions, comments and improvements are all welcome.