[X3D-Public] [x3dom-developers] on demand loading of inline nodes; security implications

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 07:22:59 PST 2014

Looking into loading and unloading of nodes, I understand that javascript
does not have a concept of explicit unloading. It seems the most an author
or user could do is to assign a null value to all references to an object
(node) and hope that the javascript interpreter of  the browser removes the
object from memory in the next garbage collection. In terms of security in
the case of x3dom this may mean that it will be hard to guarantee that
content once it is loaded will not be accessible with some dedication at a
later time.
As a point of discussion security may be divided into security on the
server (content provider, see Sony trouble), security during transmission
(ssl), security in the browser (client, decryption), and DRM (digital
rights management). There are also levels of security: government strength,
industrial strength, consumer strength, light.
Some thoughts, Andreas

--
Andreas Plesch
39 Barbara Rd.