[X3D-Public] interest in network sensor / client based server software

Christoph Valentin christoph.valentin at gmx.at
Mon Jan 6 07:38:26 PST 2014

> > Would be curious to know about interest in Network Sensor (aka Event Stream Sensor).
> >
> > I know the work on Network Sensor is currently stopped (at least in Web3D consortium).
> >
> > On the other hand I know Sven-Erik has posted some mails about defining a communication protocol for Network Sensor.
> >
> > I know Don cares for DIS.
> >
> > I know the product BS Collaborate from Bitmanagement.
> >
> > And I know Octaga player did support / supports Network Sensor, but Octaga Collaboration Server is not / was not available as a product.
> >
> > Did I miss something?
>

> If you're using a conventional browser plugin with SAI, I suspect you can ajax back to home base:
> client scenegraph -> SAI registered event listener -> html Script node javascript -> ajax POST/GET -> server app -> sockets -> stateful server-side scenegraph server -> sockets -> server app -> ajax response -> html script node callback -> SAI -> client scenegraph

Yes, OK. Only two questions.

1) Is it possible with this technique, to define arbitrary fields with arbitrary type and name at the "Network Sensor" node? I do NOT mean defining a new "Network Sensor" prototype for each and every model and application, but I mean defining a generic Network Sensor for all use cases.

2) Is it possible with this technique, to encapulate the "Network Sensor" in a model completely(!), without support by the master scene? E.g. in a model you add by Browser.createVrmlFromURL()?

With a native Network Sensor, this is possible.