[X3D-Public] X3D metadata explained

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Wed Jun 4 02:04:43 PDT 2014

At long last I've finished an upgrade to our online chapter on X3D Metadata Information for our book _X3D for Web Authors_.  All comments are welcome.

http://x3dgraphics.com/examples/X3dForWebAuthors/Chapter15-Metadata/Chapter15-MetadataInformation.html

Example scene, description summary and references can be found at

http://x3dgraphics.com/examples/X3dForWebAuthors/Chapter15-Metadata

> Metadata
>
> Metadata is about forms of data relating to other data. For example, metadata can provide a variety of information regarding a document such as author, date revised, relevant key words, etc. As another example, metadata might annotate X3D CAD geometry to provide key references such as part numbers, documentation references, inventory links, etc.
>
> Simple name=value paired information can be provided in document <head> and <meta> tags, just like in HTML. Furthermore, typed metadata information can annotate any X3D node, either for use offline or for queries within an active scene graph at run time. X3D metadata nodes include MetadataDouble, MetadataFloat, MetadataInteger, MetadataString, MetadataSet, and MetadataBoolean.
>
> The supporting Chapter 15 Metadata Information from X3D for Web Authors is available online via X3dGraphics.com. Also available:
>
>     X3D Scene Authoring Hints: meta Tags
>     Rauch, Travis M., Savage Modeling and Analysis Language (SMAL) metadata for tactical simulations and X3D visualizations, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, California, 2006.

Have fun with X3D!