[X3D-Public] Common translation tool via X3D PlaneSensor?

doug sanden highaspirations at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 5 06:54:33 PST 2014

> it seems many people want some tools to realize common 3D “handles”
> like known from popular modeling programs (Maya, Blender, …) – here’s
> an example from the three.js folks:
>
> http://mrdoob.github.io/three.js/editor/
>
> Since there have been many requests for such tools in X3DOM, we have
> started to implement the PointingDeviceSensor component´, as we didn’t
> want to re-invent the wheel and keep conformant with X3D.
>

> However, it turned out that it is quite hard to achieve what we want
> with the PointingDeviceSensor component, especially for the
> Transformation tool (please find attached a screenshot, as well as the
> corresponding X3D file).
>
> There are two issues where I would be pleased to hear your opinion:
>

> 1.) The axisRotation field lets us track pointer motion mapped onto
> a different plane than the standard Z=0 plane. This is great to realize
> the handles: For the X and Y handle, we keep the standard orientation
> of the virtual sensor plane. For the Z handle, we rotate it.
> However, since the sensors always fire the _unrotated_ transformations
> (in the local sensor coordinate system), we need to apply an extra
> rotation above the target transform in order to translate motion on the
> Z handle properly. Is this intended?
> My first impression was that it makes the application actually more
> complicated. InstantPlayer has changed the behavior towards a rotated
> output (applying the axisRotation) within the last week (dailybuilds
> only – this is experimental and can be reverted), while bs contact
> seems to ignore the axisRotation field (it was added in a later version
> of the spec?).

There might be a case for a LineSensor node. For a LineSensor, the axisRotation or axisVector would/could be parallel to the desired axis of motion in the local coordinate system, rather than perpendicular to it as with the PlaneSensor. It would/could still use Z=0 plane internally for sensing motion, but map/project that 2D motion onto the projection of the axisVector, something like a dot product in Z=0 plane between the drag vector and the axisVector.
Then the conundrum would be when you are looking straight down the axisVector - something that's more intuitively acceptable to users, and like that seen in three.js.
-Doug