[X3D-Public] Common translation tool via X3D PlaneSensor?

doug sanden highaspirations at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 5 10:13:00 PST 2014

> thanks a lot - something like a specific LineSensor node could indeed be useful. Currently, in the example I sent around, the pointer motion is clamped along x or y to achieve the line-like dragging behavior. But using the sensor-local Z=0 plane

(in my confusion I thought z=0 meant viewpoint z=0)

> internally for sensing motion still seems to be the main drawback when trying to receive motion along a line: at some point, the user will look perpendicular to the plane normal, and receive weird results. It could maybe be helpful to internally use a view-aligned sensor plane, like for billboards?

Max,
OK - that makes sense.
-Doug

more..
I suspect when they were designing the sensor nodes, they probably thought about doing a line sensor, and probably discounted it as not absolutely necessary because with a few more fields they could constrain plane sensor. And back then, the fewer nodes the better. But they probably didn't think all the way through. If they could be here today they would probably say yes go for it.

?