[X3D-Public] X3D-Public Digest, Vol 60, Issue 8

Joe D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 13 12:04:02 PDT 2014

maybe try and track the Open GL and WebGL functionality being used to
produce the effect. I have heard of a few ways to do what may be
called an ambient illumination that is a product of total lifetime of
each photon in the scene to simulate this global or background,
scattered, shadows, indirect, or whatever it should be called, effect
on a particular surface. Most of the limitations used to be computing
power and most of all we need realtime, but still std X3D does not
provide for this sort of effect.  However, I think we find that all
necessary info is declared in the scene to allow more complex
formulations to be built into a player. From your description, maybe
the original author was working to achieve this effect of the
cumulative ambient lighting environment.??

Also look at special features of a browser like BS Contact or other
X3D tools. There may be extensions that can progress to std track.

Good Luck and Best Regards,
Joe

the best ref?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendering_(computer_graphics)