[X3D-Public] LOD versus GeoLOD

doug sanden highaspirations at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 22 06:29:01 PST 2014

Depending on the browser/implementation, I suspect the LOD + Inline would normally keep the level data loaded in memory once viewed, or until it gets an explicit load=false or change of url. GeoLOD would/should unload a level when its out of range (or zoomed to finer level), so large/endless worlds can be explored in quad chunks with fixed memory.
-Doug
more..
Unlike games, real geographic information tends not to repeat, so is 'bulky' in imagery, terrain and cartographic detail - needs memory management for large areas.